Zion Church in Bethel
The church building should be “very simple, as befitting for poor people”, wrote Pastor Friedrich von Bodelschwingh, the then director of the institution, to a friend of Bethel while requesting him to donate “a small brick to our church”.
Zion Church was dedicated on Zion Hill in Bethel in November 1884. Since then, the red-brick church has served as the spiritual center of the congregation, which is shaped by interaction among persons with and without disabilities.
Zion Church parish covers the Bethel Community, together with the Westphalian Deaconesses of Sarepta, the Westphalian Deacons of Nazareth, the Schillingshof Settlement and the Eckardtsheim Community in Bielefeld.